Quote

'If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel ." Benjamin Netanyahu
First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Introduction

"If I bring a sword upon a land, and the people of the land take one man from among them and make him their watchman, and he sees the sword coming upon the land and blows the trumpet and warns the people, then he who hears the sound of the trumpet and does not take warning, and a sword comes and takes him away, his blood will be on his own head.... But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet and the people are not warned, and a sword comes and takes a person from them, he is taken away in his inequity; but his blood I will require from the watchman's hand." Ezekiel 33:2b-6 I have not been appointed, but I feel the weight of the watchman, because I see the sword coming. How can I not warn the people?

Yuri Bezmenov
Uploaded by onmyway02.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Where Has Decency and Concern Gone?

Where has decency and concern for our fellow man gone? I went to the grocery store today. When I got done, I had a cart full. It seems everyone wanted to check out at the same time. The man who got in line behind me only had one of those grab it baskets. I asked him if he'd like to go ahead of me. After looking at me like I'd sprouted 2 more heads, he answered yes. Then he said he'd just left isle 9, because he'd waited FOREVER! Isle 9 was supposed to be for 20 or less items but it seems they put the slowest checker there.

We didn't do much small talk during the wait for his turn, because I started to put my items on the belt. He did look for the little divider for me, but I had my little purple bags, and he had all his stuff in his basket, so I wasn't concerned the checker would get our items confused. When he was done, he stopped, said, "God bless you and you have a nice day!" Wow, guess I shocked him.

That's what I told the checker because she looked at me a bit confused. I looked at her and she had that questioning look on her face, like I don't really have a right to ask, but I'm dying to know. We had nothing in common. He was Oriental and I'm very white. He was, I think, about my age, but I'm terrible with ages. I said, "I think I shocked him. I let him go ahead of me."

While I was checking out, after I had scanned my credit card, there was another lady just walking by who tripped. She was a frail little Japanese woman who couldn't have weighed any more than 98 pounds. She was walking past the ice machine, where they have the rubber mats. She apparently tripped over the mat. I watched for a couple seconds and no one came to her. I left my isle, wallet in hand and went to her to help her up. At first I just offered my hand to let her stabblize, but she actually needed me to lift her up. I asked her if she was alright, but she was so shocked that someone came to help her, all she could say was, in broken English, "I say a blessing for you tonight."

These two examples were so shocked that I would be nice to them, when I live in the south where hospitality is supposed to be common, that they were taken a back at first. Where have we gotten America? I know I'm old (being all of 46), but where have our manners gone? In my day, if I hadn't gone to help that lady, my mom would have twisted my ear. If I hadn't held the door for someone who looked like they could be my grandparents, I would have been shamed when I got home. Not in public mind you, and not screamed at, but I would have felt it. It was just something you DID, you know? Now, everyone is worried about getting out first, why should they let someone ELSE go FIRST?

I have been the recipient of random acts of kindness, but I have to admit usually it's from the older generation. Or from someone flirting with me. Maybe we need to get a random acts of kindness movement going. And not from someone who is going to give someone money for doing it. Sometimes one's only reward is received on the other side of heaven.

Lori Ann Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment