Quote

'If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel ." Benjamin Netanyahu
First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Introduction

"If I bring a sword upon a land, and the people of the land take one man from among them and make him their watchman, and he sees the sword coming upon the land and blows the trumpet and warns the people, then he who hears the sound of the trumpet and does not take warning, and a sword comes and takes him away, his blood will be on his own head.... But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet and the people are not warned, and a sword comes and takes a person from them, he is taken away in his inequity; but his blood I will require from the watchman's hand." Ezekiel 33:2b-6 I have not been appointed, but I feel the weight of the watchman, because I see the sword coming. How can I not warn the people?

Yuri Bezmenov
Uploaded by onmyway02.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

My first run-in with a Muslim

It was bound to happen. I'm not a Muslim hater. I have casual contact with Muslim women in the grocery store all the time. I smile at them, they smile at me. It's not a big deal. It's the Dallas metroplex, you're bound to run into just about every culture you can think of. I ran into a Hari Krishna Monk the other day. You know, the orange robes, high pony tails? I think they're Hindu, right? He didn't speak English. We just smiled at each other and nodded. He bowed to my son (who is Down syndrome) and my son bowed back to him. It was really cute. My son is 20. I'm surprised he didn't run up and hug the Monk. And I know he would have hugged him back.

I have never had a problem with any Muslim woman before. Like I said, I smile at them, and they smile back at me. Sometimes we nod at each other.

This time it was somehow different. It was a couple days ago. It was a torrential downpour outside. I don't know what brought her out, but I would NOT have been out if it hadn't been for needing milk, eggs and butter. Maybe she didn't normally go out because she didn't like shopping. Maybe she was already in a bad mood. I know she's lucky she caught me at the beginning of my day and not the end. I'll explain that later. I was already damp. I tried to carry an umbrella, but the rain was coming down sideways. It was really bad. I had on Capri's and a thick-strapped tank top. I emphasize thick strapped because I don't want anyone to think it was a spaghetti strap top. My whole shoulder was covered, but my arms were bare. I was walking in to Aldi's (which is a discount grocery store) and she was walking out. She was in full Burka, except for her face. I suppose that means she was married? I put a question mark there because to tell you the truth, I don't know a lot about the culture. I smiled at her. She looked me down, and then back up and gave me a frown that spoke total disapproval, as she walked very stiffly past me. She was younger than me, and I'm 46. He body was stiff, from what I could tell and her gait was very measured and slow. I don't know if she looked back, because I didn't look back. I was shocked at the hatred in her eyes. I had smiled at her. I was friendly. What had I done to deserve the hatred?

The rest of my day had not gone well, I went home to a leaking roof, a fire place that looked like a waterfall. Then there was a leak over the hot water heater, which if you've had the code updates you know that it turns off the water in your whole house because there's a sensor in the pan under the hot water heater. I collect clowns, and had them on the shelves over the fireplace, and they all got wet. Some are cloth. I was not in a good mood.

As I thought of that look of hatred on her face, I began to wonder if there are any Moderate Muslims. I kept thinking, I smiled at her and nodded hello. She looked me up and down like I was a whore when she doesn't even know me. I could have sniped at her, "Do you have a bomb in that Burka, lady?" I could have said, "Does your husband make you dress like that? I'm so sorry." But I didn't because I'm not a hater. And she hadn't caught me at the end of my day. Actually, had she caught me at the end of my day, I probably would have just complained about my day, and asked if she'd had anything like that happen to her.

It makes me wonder what lies she's been told about me, the average housewife. Are they told that because we show our legs we walk around trying to entice men because we're lonely? I'm happily married. I'm not some divorcee trying to find a man. If she had talked to me, she might have found out I'm rather nice. I would have talked to her, Muslim Burka or not. But I'm supposed to be the one that's intolerant.

Tell me there are moderate Muslims out there. Maybe I should have asked her if she was a moderate Muslim and if so would she condemn Hamas? Do they hate our freedom so much? Maybe they should give it a try.

Lori Ann Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment